Transfer Talk: Roma look to Juve outcast Higuain
The European transfer window is open. Click here to review all the latest transfers, and keep up to date with the latest gossip below.
TOP STORY: Roma in for Higuain
The Argentine had an uninspiring loan spell under now-Juve boss Maurizio Sarri at Chelsea last season, and the Serie A champions are desperate to get the former Real Madrid striker off their bulging wage bill.
The Italian publication claims the Bianconeri have reiterated their position to Higuain and the player's agent following talks -- categorically stating the 31-year-old does not fit into the long-term plans of the club.
Higuain's agent, who is also his brother, has recently claimed that no elite European club has shown concrete interest in his client, before then going on to say that the ex-Argentina international was not yet ready to join a Chinese Super League club.
But Roma have now emerged as potential suitors for the forward, with the club's sporting director, Gianluca Petrachi, keen to secure high-quality signings in a bid to return to the Champions League, following his side's sixth-place finish in Serie A.
22.50 BST: We're going to close Friday's live edition of Transfer Talk with an update from West London. The Evening Standard writes that Fulham are resigned to losing 16-year-old prodigy Harvey Elliott, who last season became the youngest player to ever play in the Premier League, with Liverpool, Barcelona, Real Madrid and RB Leipzig all monitoring the England U17 international's situation.
22.03 BST: Celta Vigo forward Maxi Gomez is reportedly leaning toward choosing Valencia as his next club, citing the attraction of European football, but Sky Sports reports that West Ham are working to change the 22-year-old's mind.
21.16 BST: While Arsenal were linked earlier in the day with a move for Real Madrid winger Lucas Vazquez, Goal writes that the Gunners have also been offered Barcelona wide man Malcom, but their No. 1 target this summer remains Crystal Palace attacker Wilfried Zaha.
20.29 BST: The Telegraph writes that Jose Mourinho is in talks to take over Chinese Super League club Guangzhou Evergrande, as well as potentially the Chinese national team, as the 56-year-old remains out of work since his sacking from his role as Manchester United manager in December.
19.42 BST: Anderlecht have confirmed the signing of former Arsenal, Manchester City and West Ham attacker Samir Nasri, who joins former City teammate and new player/manager Vincent Kompany at the Belgian club.
18.55 BST: With Inter yet to meet Manchester United's £75m valuation for Romelu Lukaku, despite weeks of speculation linking the Belgian forward with a move to the San Siro, Calciomercato cites Radio Marte as reporting that Napoli has entered the race for the 26-year-old.
18.08 BST: Well, that didn't take long. Little more than 90 minutes ago, we brought you an update that Real Madrid expected Paul Pogba to submit a transfer request in order to facilitate his exit from Manchester United. Now, the Times quotes Pogba's agent Mino Raiola as saying he is "in the process" of arranging a transfer away from the English club.
"Everyone within the club from the manager to the owner knows Paul's wishes," Raiola said. "Everyone knows the willingness of Paul to move on. We are in the process of that. Everyone knows what the feelings of Paul are."
17.21 BST: Less than six months after leaving Toronto FC for Saudi club Al-Hilal, Sebastian Giovinco has been in talks with the MLS side about returning, reports the Athletic.
16.34 BST: After having an offer of €80m plus one of Gareth Bale or Isco rejected, Real Madrid are now expecting Paul Pogba to submit a transfer request in hopes of Manchester United negotiating down their €170m asking price for the 26-year-old to a more palatable €150m, according to Mundo Deportivo.
15.47 BST: Borussia Dortmund's Abdou Diallo isn't doing much to dampen speculation over a move to PSG. He told L'Equipe: "It is a form of recognition of my work to hear that. Without wanting to put a typical footballing cliche out there, I am under contract. However, a young player in Europe who tells you that the PSG project is not interesting is not credible. PSG have a beautiful project."
15.18 BST: Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has provided an update on transfers. United are chasing two players currently.
"It's a long-term and it's a short-term project," Solskjaer told the club's official website. "You cannot just think three years down the line, so we've got short-term goals as well, of course.
"I think we've been quite calm and good in the market as we've got the right people and we're still working on a case or two. Of course, we're always looking to improve the squad and, all over the summer, I've been in touch with Joel [Glazer] and Ed [Woodward] and all the recruitment and analysis people.
"I've got to say it's been very good so far. I've got the backing and we've got to make sure we don't just jump in and do something rash. We've got the people we wanted, for now, and there will probably be some more business being done."
15.02 BST: Martin Odegaard has spent a large part of his Real Madrid career on loan and, guess what, he will be departing again. Real Sociedad is his new temporary home.
Odegaard, still under contract at the Bernabeu until June 2021, has made steady progress since joining Madrid aged 16 amid huge publicity in January 2015, and scored 11 goals and 12 assists on loan at Vitesse Arnhem last term, following another loan spell at Heerenveen the previous season.
14.50 BST: Inter Milan manager Antonio Conte is reportedly keen for a reunion with Arturo Vidal, if he can axe Radja Nainggolan. Barcelona would be willing to sell Vidal for €20-22m, now he's finished with Chile at the Copa America, say Gazzetta.
14.26 BST: USA international Matthew Olosunde has joined Rotherham. He had been released by Man United last month.
14.23 BST: Atletico Madrid say that "as of today" Alvaro Morata is set to play for them on loan in the 2019-20 season, amid the possibility that parent club Chelsea could recall him due to their FIFA transfer ban.
Morata joined Atletico from Chelsea in January 2019 via a complex 18 month loan deal which includes a clause for the Premier League side to take him back this summer if they wish, although Atletico can then override that by paying €55m to sign the striker permanently.
"Morata has been loaned for a season and a half, and as of today that remains the case," an Atletico source told ESPN FC, but declined to comment directly on whether that situation could evolve over the coming days.
After scoring six goals in 17 games for Atletico during the second half of last season, Morata has regularly made it clear that he wishes to remain long term at the Wanda Metropolitano.
14.04 BST: Houston Dynamo's in-form forward Mauro Manotas has told Deporte Total USA that a move to Liga MX giant Cruz Azul is a possibility, but it'll depend on the clubs coming to an agreement over the transfer.
"You work so that a big club like Cruz Azul is interested in you and it is true," Manotas said. "They spoke to me and I said that I respect the contract that I have with the institution (Houston Dynamo) and now it'll be decided between the clubs."
Reguilon, 22, was one of the few bright spots for much of Madrid's disastrous 2018-19 campaign, but then fell out of the first team picture when Zinedine Zidane returned as coach in March.
Sources told ESPN FC earlier this week that Reguilon had been convinced by the idea that he would have more opportunities to play regularly with his former boss Julen Lopetegui having taken over at the Estadio Sanchez Pizjuan. But the player's long-term aim is to return and convince Zidane he deserves a further chance at the Bernabeu.
13.15 BST: For €126m, you would think he'd be an automatic starter in the Atletico first XI...
Sources have told ESPN FC that Inter, who are also pursuing United forward Romelu Lukaku, have indicated a willingness to offer £10m plus Belgium midfielder Radja Nainggolan for Matic, who cost United £40m when signed from Chelsea in July 2017.
After making an impressive start to life at United under Jose Mourinho, Matic's form has since dipped and Solsjkaer has identified Newcastle youngster Sean Longstaff as a potential replacement for the 30-year-old Serbia international.
Sources said that Matic is keen to discuss the Italian interest with Solskjaer in order to assess whether he has a future under the Norwegian at Old Trafford.
12.27 BST: Former LA Galaxy forward Giovani dos Santos is on the verge of joining Liga MX giant Club America, ESPN's John Sutcliffe is reporting.
The MLS club exercised its option to buy out the contract of Mexico international on March 1 and Dos Santos has been searching for a club since, with rumours linking him with moves as far and wide as to Qatar and Brazil.
Dos Santos will be presented as a Club America player in coming days and a video has been prepared by the club, according to the sources.
12.11 BST: It's been a few hours since Neymar was mentioned so...
Rafinha has told AS: "I hope that Neymar will come back -- it would be great for Barcelona. I remember MSN with Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar... I had never seen anything like them -- it was pure magic. It will be even better if Antoine Griezmann comes -- the best players all must come to Barca."
12.07 BST: Andreas Pereira has signed a new deal with Manchester United, though how much he will be playing the first XI remains to be seen. Ditto Axel Tuanzebe, who has also penned new terms after spending time at Aston Villa on loan last season.
Following a good first season in Bundesliga after his €2.5m move from Standard Liege to Fortuna last summer, Raman, 24, decided to make the next step in his career by moving to the Veltins Arena. However, Dusseldorf were not prepared to let him leave on the cheap and reportedly turned down an initial €7m bid for the attacker.
After several weeks of negotiations he has by now completed his medical at Schalke 04 and has already been pictured wearing his new colours. But with his agents still sorting out last details with the club, the deal has yet to be made official.
"It's like chewing gum," Fortuna sporting director Lutz Pfannestiel commented in local papers. "I am actually a bit annoyed."
Schalke 04, meanwhile, are set to send attacker Bernard Tekpetey to Dusseldorf to deduct around €2m from Raman's transfer fee. The 21-year-old Ghanaian was only re-signed by the Royal Blues from newly promoted SC Paderborn for a set fee of €2.5m earlier this summer.
11.24 BST: Juventus striker Paulo Dybala is not leaving, say Tuttosport, with new coach Maurizio Sarri seeing him as an important part of team.
11.07 BST: Reported Real Madrid target Fabian Ruiz says he is happy at Napoli and has no intention leaving this summer.
The Spain midfielder raised eyebrows with his performances at the Under-21 European Championship, scored the opener in the final, a 2-1 victory over Germany, and was named as the most valuable player of the tournament.
The 23-year-old moved to Napoli last summer from Real Betis and scored five goals and set up three more in 27 league appearances.
"I have four years left on my contract with Napoli and I'm looking forward to continuing there," Ruiz said as reported in Cadena Cope. "Zidane is a great coach but I haven't worked with him so there isn't much more I can say."
10.38 BST: Borussia Dortmund chief Michael Zorc has been speaking to WAZ about full-back Raphael Guerreiro's possible move to PSG. He said: "I was surprised by the rumours as there is no real basis to it. There has been no discussion."
10.25 BST: Atletico Madrid have announced new arrivals Joao Felix will No. 7 and Felipe will be No. 18, which suggests that Antoine Griezmann, who had the No. 7, and Diego Costa, No. 18, will certainly be leaving soon.
10.13 BST: Valencia are closing in on the signing of Celta Vigo forward Maxi Gomez. According to Superdeporte, Gomez could become Los Che's third summer signing in the coming days following the arrivals of Jasper Cillessen from FC Barcelona and Denis Cheryshev of Villarreal.
Celta are hoping to complete the deal after weeks of negotiations. Valencia will reportedly pay €14.5m plus €1.5m in add-ons to Celta and include Spanish forward Santi Mina in the deal, with defender Jorge Saenz also moving to Vigo on a season-long loan.
If completed, Mina would be the second player from Celta's youth system to return to the club this summer after the Galician outfit completes a deal for Barcelona midfielder Denis Suarez.
09.55 BST: Douglas Santos has set a new Bundesliga.2 record after joining Zenit St. Petersburg on a five-year deal.
Santos was at Hamburg for three seasons, but the €12m plus €3m in possible add-ons paid by the Russian champions add up to the highest transfer fee ever paid for a player from Germany's second tier.
According to the Spanish sports daily, Vazquez is a target of Inter Milan, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, but the 28-year-old prefers to move to the Premier League.
Arsenal have reportedly made a bid of €32m plus €3m in add-ons to acquire Vazquez but have yet to agree personal terms with the player. AS report that Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane spoke with Vazquez and told him that, with the arrival of Luka Jovic and Rodrygo to Madrid this summer, regular playing time will be hard to come by.
09.31 BST: Getafe president Angel Torres says his club are interested in signing Real Madrid starlet Brahim Diaz on loan.
Brahim joined Madrid from Manchester City for €17m in January, and impressed when given a chance by Zinedine Zidane during the closing stages of last season. However with competition for places up front so high at the Bernabeu, he could leave on loan this summer to get more regular football in La Liga next term.
"We're going to ask Real Madrid for Brahim Díaz," Torres said at Getafe's 2019/20 kit launch. "I'll speak with [Madrid director general] Jose Angel Sanchez."
Torres also said he would love to take Madrid's recent crowned Spain Under-21 European champion Dani Ceballos on loan, while accepting that was less likely.
09.17 BST: With Callum Hudson-Odoi still at Stamford Bridge amid rumours of a £35m move to Bayern, the Bundesliga champions have signed two 16-year-old Chelsea players to academy contracts.
Jamal Musiala and Bright Akwo Arrey-Mbi, both raised in Germany, have joined the club and will play for Bayern's U17 and U19 respectively.
09.06 BST: An impasse between Real Madrid president Florentino Perez and coach Zinedine Zidane, regarding his son Luca, is further complicating the club's goalkeeping plans for next season, according to El Pais reporter Diego Torres.
However Torres claims that when Zidane was told by the directors that homegrown keeper Luca, 21, had to leave the squad this summer, the coach responded "okay but then my starting goalkeeper would be Navas over Courtois."
Porto and Paris Saint Germain are among the clubs to have considered signing Costa Rica international Navas this summer, ESPN FC has been told, however there has been no movement yet and all three of Courtois, Navas and Zidane Jr. are currently expected back for preseason training next Monday.
08.28 BST: Sevilla sporting director Monchi says his club has not received any offers for reported Manchester United target Wissam Ben Yedder.
The Frenchman has attracted the attention of top European clubs, including United, Paris Saint-Germain and Barcelona, after scoring 30 goals and setting up 11 more in 54 games in all competitions for the Andalusian outfit in the 2018-19 campaign.
Asked about Ben Yedder, Monchi told Cadena Ser radio: "There's nothing new. He has one week left of holiday and will report for pre-season on the (July) 13th to travel to the United States. From then on, the (transfer) market is open and there are possibilities for any player of our squad. As of today, no offer has arrived."
United reportedly consider Ben Yedder -- who has two years left on his contract with Sevilla and a €40m release clause -- the ideal candidate to replace Romelu Lukaku, should the Belgian striker leave Old Trafford for Inter Milan this summer.
Chinese Super League club Shanghai SIPG have already had a £19.7m bid rejected by the Hammers, but club bosses are now willing to accept an offer for £25m for the 30-year-old.
According to Sky, Arnautovic's attitude has caused irreparable damage and "manager, staff and players want him out" this summer.
The Austrian forward has scored 21 Premier League goals for West Ham since joining them from Stoke City in 2017 for £24m, including 10 last season.
PAPER TALK (by James Capps)
Wantaway Lukaku to join United tour
Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku looks set to join his teammates on the club's preseason of Australia, with Inter Milan continuing to drag their heels on the Red Devils' asking price for the Belgian, according to The Sun.
Antonio Conte's side have balked at the £75 million price tag on the 26-year-old's head, and reports claim that Inter are struggling to raise funds that will allow them to make a serious bid for the striker, prompting Lukaku to potentially pack his bags and head down under.
Inter Milan were forced to ditch a bid that would have seen the former Everton man join on a two-year loan for a £9m fee, before completing a permanent £58m in the summer of 2021, after United made it clear they would not be interested in such a deal.
The continued uncertainty has forced Lukaku's agent to publicly urge the Nerazzurri to make a concrete bid sooner rather than later.
Valencia move in on Maxi
Marca claims Valencia are set to complete the signing of Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez in a cash-plus-players deal that will see two of Valencia's squad head in the opposite direction
Los Ches will pay a €16m fee for the Uruguayan forward, while Valencia's Santi Mina will return to his former club on a permanent deal, and Jorge Saenz will head to the Estadio Municipal de Balaídos on a two-year loan. The centre-back joined Valencia only on Monday from Tenerife, but will now head to the northwest coast of Spain to get some much-needed La Liga experience under his belt.
It has been a busy few days in the transfer window for Celta, after they completed the signing of Denis Suarez from Barcelona on Sunday evening, and the club are set to officially unveil their latest acquisition, Gabriel Fernandez from Uruguayan side Penarol, at a news conference on Friday.
- AC Milan are nearing their third summer signing, with Calciomercato reporting that the Rossoneri are closing in on Empoli midfielder Ismael Bennacer. The 21-year-old Algeria international will make the switch to the San Siro for a fee believed to be about €16m.
- Reports in The Sun claim Liverpool have contacted FIFA regarding a possible tapping-up case involving Lazio and former Reds youth player Bobby Adekanye. The 20-year-old is believed to have been contacted while still under contract at Anfield, breaching governing body rules regarding players under the age of 23.
- Newly promoted Bundesliga side Union Berlin have completed the signing of ex-Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic. The 30-year-old former Serbia international has signed a two-year deal after leaving Saint-Etienne on a free transfer, reports Calciomercato